Friday, October 11, 2013

I am a dreamer of dangerous dreams.

First thing's first:

  1. I tried to quit my job and my boss wouldn't let me so I guess I still work there.
  2. I tried to quit the sorority but the president made me realize that that's silly really, so I didn't.

SECOND.

OMG

OH, OOOOOOMG. I've come up with a dangerous, dannnnnnnngerous idea.

A dream really. Like I always do, but it's dangerous because it may or may not easily work out.

First of all (doesn't this post already have a first?), I believe things happen for a reason. I really do. So things are more obvious than others but yes, everything happens for a reason. Right now I'm referring to how easy I got the job at D. I never get jobs! EVER. That's why I had to work in the fucking deli for so long, because jobs aren't meant for me.

BUT THIS, THE JOB I HAVE, RIGHT NOW, WAS MEANT TO BE. I found my new, Kelowna best friend, Morgan, and just watch what happens next:

  1. She's a smoker- omg I needed a smoking buddy!
  2. She's from Kelowna- omg I needed someone who knows this town!
  3. She loves going out- omg I needed someone to go out with!
  4. SHE LOOKS LIKE A MODEL AND WANTS TO GET INTO THE INDUSTRY TO BE A STYLIST OR SOMETHING SIMILAR- omg I needed someone to go shopping with, and I missed being into fashion (I used to be really into it in grade 10, but a small town isn't the best place to keep up with trends)
  5. now watch this: She wants to move to Vancouver is go to school for fashion studies- omg I want to move to Vancouver!
  6. She's probably going to stay in Kelowna one more year though to continue saving but she doesn't want to stay at home- omg I need a roomie for next year!
AND THIS IS WHERE MY DREAMER BRAIN KICKS IN.

LAST NIGHT, WHEN I WAS READING ELLE, IT HIT ME: HER AND I SHOULD START A FASHION BLOG, IT WOULD BUILD HER RESUME AND HELP WITH WHAT I'M THINKING IN THE BACK OF MY MIND.

Wait what?

Grade 12: when I originally was wondering what to do, I decided I wanted to become editor in chief of a fashion magazine because I worked out almost everyday to The Devil Wears Prada and it's seriously one of my favourite movies of all time. When I took the test to see what careers to consider, my top ones were always, art director, photographer, writer/journalist, butcher. I don't get the butcher one, BUT THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW ANYWAY, OMG FOCUS WILL YA?

I've always been attracted to culture, and art. And what I'm realizing right now, is that I hate being still. And I hate reading and reading and reading in school. And I hate not creating things. If I continue on my way with psychology, I'll be still. Listening to problems, lending advice; seeing people stand up, seeing them fall down.

IF, I do something else perhaps.... I won't be still. And I'll get to create. IT'LL BE FUN.

Writing is too isolating and too depressing. Same with photography and any other sort of other freelance art like that. Other art forms are too showy for my anxiety really. Baking tends to attract people who aren't cultured and is also a repetitive job after awhile. But fashion, there is hope.

I've already got my foot in the door by working at D, and also by starting a fashion blog with Morgan, and even just knowing Morgan, since that's where she's going (fashion), and her boyfriend hopes to get into filming movies, and his sister is an incredibly famous model.

But then, what would I do? I suck at styling for people, I don't have design ideas, marketing would be boring, photography would be boring eventually (I like nature shots not people shots)...

My favourite thing fashion related is "the magazine". The entire world of the magazine. But writing would be boring. Hoping to become editor in chief would be too big of a dream. An assistant is not a goal. Marketing again is blah. Editing is blah.

BUT WAIT, Nigel, from The Devil Wears Prada. I fucking loved him. And there's this one scene right before Andy gets her makeover, and he's in a room where it looks like they're planning the pages. I loved that scene, because the room and the feel of what was going on in there and everything about it. And Nigel just in general... his job always seemed the most interesting!

What was his job? MOTHER FUCKING ART DIRECTOR. THAT'S WHAT HE WAS.

THIS IS MY IDEA, SERIOUSLY, IT'S IMPLANTED NOW. HERE, LET'S READ IT TOGETHER:
  1. Finish BA here, and focus on working at D, living with Morgan, working on the blog, learning about fashion, and drawing more to build a portfolio to be able to apply to a design school (see 2)
  2. Move to Vancouver, transfer to a D there, continue blog, do a 2 year max graphic design degree to learn about programs, layouts, and art
  3. Move to Montréal or Toronto or SOMEWHERE to try to get a job as an art director or something that will lead to becoming one.
Does this sound crazily stupid? I think it does. But like... risk. and adventure...

IDK. IDK. I'll think about it, and see what happens.

AHHH

- Mint

No comments:

Post a Comment